Usually just a few weeks into the New Year I already begin to receive many emails about failed resolutions. So many want to lose weight, earn more money, be a better spouse/companion, be more organized, get better grades, etc.
Although the specifics of each email differ, there is a common question, “Why do I fail if it is something I really want?” Well, it fails because wanting is not enough. Although goals are important, having a plan of action is vital to the success of those goals. Having a goal with no plan of action is like wanting to travel to a new destination without having a map.
Do you want to be successful in your resolutions? Remember, if you keep doing what you’re doing, you’ll keep getting what you’re getting. If you want something new in your life, you have to do something new in your life. Here is a simple outline that is highly effective and a great way to start:
Take the simple steps necessary to empower yourself and enhance your life.
- Take a moment to quiet your mind.
- Reflect upon your life and your thoughts.
- Define your intent. What are your goals? What would you like to change in your life?
- Write it down! (This is your destination)
- Have a clear vision of your goals and visualize their realization. (See yourself achieving your goals)
- Decide upon actions necessary to achieve your goals.
- Write them down! (This is your map)
- Take action. Move towards your goal.
- Maintain clarity of your vision. (It’s ok if you have a bad day. A wrong turn does not end the journey. If you feel lost, just look at your map and get back on the road. The map will always lead you in the right direction.)
- Enjoy your success! Follow the system and you cannot fail!
© Steve Maraboli
From the book, “Life, the Truth, and Being Free”